Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Welcome!

Welcome everyone to our blog!

We hope that this can be a way that our friends all around the world can keep up with the happenings in our lives!  

This is Rachel writing right now, but we'll both be posting here.  I'm sure that the majority of the posts will be from me, though, because just as I have more words than Matt when I speak, I also have more words when I write :) 

Anyway, we are officially here, in Cape Town and we're in the process of making our apartment (or "flat" as they call it in SA), a little more enjoyable.  Currently, it's pretty much just the bare minimum...but with each passing day, we are getting more and more things squared away.  

I had my first trip to the grocery store!  It was very good, except I had to get over the fact that Mexican food is sparse and the little bit they do have is rather expensive.  I looked and looked for a can of black beans, but they were nowhere to be found :(  But I still managed to get quite a good array of food.  And I can't completely be negative about the grocery store experience...there were quite a few positives.  For example...when's the last time you've bought an avocado for 30 cents?  Or a pineapple for a dollar?  Yeah...never in America!  But yes, it's all rather cheap here!  Another random fact...you have to pay for your plastic bags at the grocery store, so it's a good idea to bring your own!  I thought that was kinda cool.

Anyway...that's about all the happenings on this side of the pond.  I promise to blog the excitement as it comes...and I promise to make it an engaging read for you, as well.  I just wanted to start the blog and I was too excited to worry about how enjoyable this post was to read...it's really just word vomit, so don't read it as anything more than that.  But anyway...more to come!  I miss everyone much and I think of you all often!  

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world :)
    Gareth got me started with my very own blog. I just love it.
    You are going to love it here in Cape Town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea guys. A super way to make sure that everyone, on all sides of the continent, get to keep up with what's happening in your lives. I look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's presh :) I'm glad you guys are doing good - I'm sure there will be many insightful and wonderful things in here.

    Matt, take up the slack - we may be men of few words but that just means that when we speak them we've got to say them where they will count.

    God bless you guys!

    ReplyDelete