Thursday, August 27, 2009

Thursday Night Cleaning Fest

A normal week for me does not consist of the time to actually clean, so when I do get the time to clean, I pretty much try to get as much as possible done.  

Tonight was one of those nights.  Matt had band practice, I wasn't playing, and I had no plans; therefore, the default plans of the evening were cleaning.  

You'd think that in an apartment consisting of two bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen, and a lounge, it would be hard for things to get dirty.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  It's almost like the dirt has nowhere to spread out, so I feel like things get even dirtier!

Now, granted, I don't mind a dirty house...never have never will, but our "situation" makes things a little more acute.  We have white tile floors all throughout our kitchen, hallways, and bathroom.  White tile floors pretty much are magnets for everything gross, nasty, sticky, and everything else.  It doesn't matter how careful you are, it doesn't matter if you haven't been in the house for a week straight...the floors inevitably get disgustingly dirty.  

So, the first thing I did tonight (after I made a batch of banana muffins to surprise Matt) was mop.  But I have this thing about our mop.  I really thing mops are the most disgusting cleaning appliance ever.  Who honestly thought, "Hey, I have an idea!  Let's get a stick and attach big pieces of cloth to the end of it.  Then we'll put it in gross water and use it over and over again to clean our dirty floors! What a sanitary idea"  Now, fellow Americans under the age of 30 who read my blog, I know what you're saying, "What's a mop?  Don't you have a Swiffer Wet Jet?"  The answer in short is, No.  There are kitchen appliances that are rip offs of the Swiffer Wet Jet, but they do not come close.  So, a good, old-fashioned mop it is.  It sits in my bathtub after it's been used, and then when guests come over, it gets moved to the shower.  What else can you do with a mop?  

Anyway, I was not about to go get the disgusting mop, wipe it all over my floors again, just spreading disease every which way, further perpetuating the disgusting damp, filthy, disease-ridden situation.  So, I decided to try something different.  

I don't know if it was any more sanitary, but it certainly was more entertaining.  Basically, the process worked like this.  

1)Throw water all over my floor.

2)Run around my house, sliding around bare foot to spread the water out.  

3)Use my little rubber broom thing to squeegie the water off the floor.

4)Get the disgusting water/hair/crumb pile up with a dishtowel and flush it down the toilet. 

And to dry the floor?

1)Put on a pair of socks

2)Scootch around the floor until it's dry.  

It's quite an invigorating experience.  You almost chuckle to yourself, thinking, "hehe, I probably shouldn't be doing this, but I can, because I pay to live here and no one can tell me what to do!  I'm such a rebel."  This is the extent of my rebelliousness.

And just wait until children.  It will be the most sought after chore in the Hastings Household after I show them how Extreme Mopping is done.  

Anyway, hope everyone is enjoying their week.  If you're bored, try this alternative cleaning method to brighten your day!

1 comment: